What is ACCUPLACER?
Students who are unable to have placement determined through one of the other placement assessments can take ACCUPLACER. The ACCUPLACER Placement is an untimed, computerized assessment that has three multiple choice sections (writing, reading, and math). Students cannot pass or fail ACCUPLACER, the results are used to evaluate your skills and place you into appropriate courses given your current skill level. Scratch paper and pencils are provided. No dictionaries or personal calculators are allowed, but calculators will be provided. Results are printed immediately following the completion of Accuplacer.
- Valid Photo ID is required
- Fee is $17 (non-refundable) UPDATE: We are currently unable to accept payments for ACCUPLACER. When you sign up to take the Accuplacer, a charge will be posted to your account that can be paid through your ctcLink account. For more information see Where to Take ACCUPLACER below.
While there is no specific time limit, we ask that students give themselves enough time, approximately 2 hours to finish. ACCUPLACER Placement must be completed in the same day started. Please allow ample time to complete all three sections before the office closes.
Guided Self Placement: The math placement listed on the score sheet is a recommendation based on ACCUPLACER performance. If a student believes that this score does not represent their best performance the student has the option of Guided Self Placement. Guided Self Placement is a process where students are provided additional information about the next placement level and may elect to enroll in a math course one level above their initial placement recommendation. Additional information about this process is available on the ACCUPLACER score sheet the student will receive after the completing the assessment.
Where to Take the ACCUPLACER
Cascadia College is closed. Student Services are available online. Please continue to check the website for more updates that could include extended closures.
ONLINE: In an effort to comply with Washington's Stay Home Stay Healthy order and to increase our social distancing efforts, students who need to complete a placement assessment can complete the ACCUPLACER online with a remote proctor.
- You need to have a ctcLink Student ID number (not your high school SID) to take the Accuplacer. If you don't have a ctcLink Student ID number, please apply for admissions online. Your application should be processed within 2 business days. Once processed and you will receive your email that contains your ctcLink Student ID number. Proceed to step 2 once you have your ctcLink Student ID number.
- Complete the Online ACCUPLACER Request Form and follow the remaining directions listed there.
NOTE: This process may take up to four business days.
Opting Out of Remote Proctoring
While we encourage you to take advantage of this remote proctoring opportunity, we understand that some of you may be uncomfortable with this process. Depending on which assessment you need to complete you may have alternative options:
- English: After reviewing the other placement methods available students may email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on completing an alternate assessment.
- Math: Unfortunately an alternate assessment is currently unavailable. Please review the other placement methods available to determine if they can be used. Email email@example.com if you have questions.
- What is ACCUPLACER?
- Sample Questions and Web-Based Study App (be sure to select Next-Generation materials)
Students with Disabilities
Students with a documented disability can set up a time with the Disability Support Services Office to take the Accuplacer Placement in a private room or to set up accommodations for a reader and/or scribe.
Please call 48 hours in advance to schedule an appointment at 425.352.8128.
English as a Second Language Students
Placement for English as a Second Language (ESL) is used to determine the placement level of non-English speakers. Contact the ESL office at 425.352.8158 for ESL placement.