Basic Education for Adults main page photoIt's Never Too Late for Education! 

To sign up for Orientation and Placement Testing:

Basic Education for Adults (BEdA)

Basic Education for Adults (BEdA) includes ESL, ABE, GED® prep, and HS+. BEdA classes are designed to help move students forward on pathways to high school diplomas, GED®, college coursework, and/or employment.

These programs provide classes for English as a Second Language, Adult Basic Education English and math fundamentals, GED® preparation classes, and High School+ diploma attainment.  Financial help may be available for you.

To take any of these classes, students must first complete Orientation and Placement Testing, which takes about four hours. Orientation and Placement Testing sessions are scheduled at the end and beginning of each quarter and during the breaks between quarters. 

Our classes run on Cascadia’s Academic Calendar. However, our registration timelines are different. Please contact our office for information about when you can register for next quarter.

Basic Education for Adults office hours and closures are the same as Kodiak Corner. Please see the Kodiak Corner office hours page for full office hours and closures. You can always call 425-352-8158 to check our hours. Our office is located in LBA 102.

Our program is a WIOA Title II program and is not considered a public benefit program under the new “public charge” immigration rule. Please contact us if you have questions.

For more program information, click on each link below:


Orientation and Placement Testing—What to Do!

educational interview photo

To sign up for Orientation and Placement Testing, please:

  • Call the office at (425) 352-8158 to complete the application. Or, you may come in to the office, located in the Library Annex (LBA), to complete the application.
  • Orientation is one session, approximately four (4) hours long. During the session, students will complete necessary paperwork and  placement testing, as well as receive information about the program.

To take classes in the Basic Education for Adults program, you must be living in the U.S. We welcome all immigrants, refugees, and U.S. citizens. We cannot serve students with short-term visas, for example student visas, au pair visas, and tourist visas. If you have questions about who we can serve, please call the office at (425)352-8158.


Underage Students:

Students who are 16 years to 18 years old (9th - 12th grade level status) will need to provide a School District Enrollment Release form from the high school area where you currently live.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

ESL photoEnglish as a Second Language classes help develop reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in English. ESL classes are designed to help students learn English so that they move forward on pathways to high school diplomas, GED®, college coursework, and/or employment.

These classes are for students who speak a first language other than English, and are residents of the United States. (Immigrants, Refugees and Citizens)

The ESL program offers ESL levels 1 - 5 with classes in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Students who are placed into ESL Level 6 have the opportunity to meet with an advisor and enroll in ABE classes for further skill development. 

During Orientation and Placement Testing, students will complete an oral screening, a writing sample, a listening test, and a reading test. The scores from these screenings will be used to determine level placement. Additionally, students will receive general program information and will have the opportunity to ask any questions they have about the program. 

Adult Basic Education (ABE) English and Math Fundamentals

student photo for mfund

ABE classes are not ESL classes.  ABE classes are designed to help move students forward on pathways to high school diplomas, GED®, college coursework, and/or employment. ESL students often transition to ABE once they have completed ESL.  ABE classes are contextualized to various content areas such as history, science, civics, etc. No matter what goal an ABE student has, the contextualized classes are designed to meet those goals as they all teach increased skills in math, as well as analytical and critical English reading and writing skills.

Students take ABE classes to:

  • Earn a high school diploma through the High School+ program.
  • Prepare for the four GED® exams—Reading, Math, Social Studies, and Science. As of 2014, writing is assessed as part of each exam.
  • Increase English and math skills in order to earn higher college placement scores, such as the ACCUPLACER test currently being used at Cascadia.
  • Increase English and math skills in order to get a new or improved job. 

ABE classes are offered in the morning, afternoon, and evening and are multi-level classes. This means it is possible for you to progress more than one level during a quarter.  (Begin at level 20 but maybe test at level 40 or higher by the end of the quarter.)

High School+

High School photo

You may want to earn a high school diploma if it is the fastest pathway for you to reach your goals.  When you attend Orientation and Placement Testing, the instructor will share High School+ information with you to help you decide if you want to complete this program. If you want to earn a high school diploma, you need to complete a HS+ application so that we can get you started.

In most cases, students need to be at least 21 years old at the time of completion to earn a HS+ diploma. However, some students age 18-20 who have met their high school testing requirements may be eligible for HS+. Please ask advisor about your options.

Preparing for the HS+ Intake Appointment

  • Bring addresses for any high school or college programs you have attended so you can send for official transcripts.
  • Bring records of any College Placement Tests you have taken.
  • Complete a Washington Employment Security Division request for employment records. BEdA will mail it for you.
  • Bring documentation of any certifications (CPR, First Aid, Food Handlers permit, etc.) you have earned.

Next Steps

  • After your appointment, send for all high school or college transcripts. These must be mailed to the BEdA program, marked official, and be unopened. 
  • Once all of the records have been received in the BEdA Office, they will be evaluated for credits and a determination of what you need to earn your high school diploma will be made.
  • Be on the lookout for a call or email from the BEdA Office to set an appointment time for you to come in to discuss your credit evaluation.

Already a BEdA Student?

If you are already a student at Cascadia, work with your instructor or the office to sign up for the appropriate classes that will result in credit toward your HS+ diploma. 

If you are a new student, schedule your Orientation and Placement Testing and complete it!

Which High School diploma option is right for you? 

Refer to this link that will explain Cascadia high school diploma options to you.

Current HS+ Students

Current HS+ students are emailed an updated progress document after each quarter in which they earn credit. HS+ students are encouraged to meet with the BEdA Advisor, Neda Rabbanian, about their progress as often as needed. Neda can help explain graduation requirements, answer questions about progress to a diploma, and help you think about what you’ll do after completing your diploma. You can make an appointment with Neda by contacting the BEdA office, or email Neda directly at

Financial Assistance (Waivers)

Financial Assistance photo

The Basic Education for Adults (BEdA) program provides some financial assistance to students who qualify. Students can apply for waivers to assist with tuition and a parking permit or bus pass. New and returning students can apply during orientation. Current students can apply in the BEdA program office in the LBA. Students must apply every quarter.

Tuition waivers cover the $25 program tuition fee. Parking waivers cover 25% of the cost of a quarterly pass, and 100% of the bus pass fee.


Waiver approval is based on financial need. Continuing students must also maintain eligibility by meeting the following requirements:

  • Paying tuition on time (before the program deadline),
  • Attending at least 80% of all classes, and
  • Taking CASAS post-tests at the end of the quarter.

BEdA Bus Pass Application Form

Transitions Advising

Current, recent, and entering BEdA students are encouraged to meet with the BEdA Advisor, Neda Rabbanian, to discuss college and career goals and plan to transition to college-level classes. It can take time to plan your transition, so don’t hesitate to meet with Neda. Neda can help you research careers or college programs, answer questions about the transition process, and assist you with completing the application for financial aid. Neda also has information about scholarships and other resources that could help you transition to college. You can make an appointment with Neda by contacting the BEdA office, or email Neda directly at

Student Handbook

New students receive a copy of the BEdA Student Handbook during Orientation. If you lost your copy, or want to print a new copy, you can find the current version here.

Quarterly Schedule and Tuition Information

For a preview of the ABE and ESL class schedule, please consult the Summer 2021 Class Schedule flyer. The schedule may change. Contact our office at (425) 352-8158 for the most up-to-date information.

Information about how to pay your tuition is available on our Tuition Payments flyer. Tuition is due by the third week of the quarter.