Information Sessions are held on select Fridays from 4 pm to 5 pm
The deadline for Spring Quarter is 3/6/20.
The deadline for Fall Quarter is 6/25/20.
NOTICE: Our fax machine is currently out of service. If are trying to fax your forms to us, please email your form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions, please call the Running Start Office at 425-352-8146.
Earn college credit from your high school classes
If you're an eligible high school junior or senior, apply for Cascadia's Running Start
Program to earn college credit tuition free while you fulfill Washington State high
school graduation requirements. Running Start lets you complete up to 2 years of college
while you're still in high school.
Save time and money
You can take up to 15 credits per quarter tuition free depending on your enrollment level at high school. You pay for books, supplies, transportation, mandatory college fees and tuition for below 100 level courses and Pre-Fall classes.
Prepare for the future
As a student at Cascadia, you'll experience college life firsthand and become better
prepared for the transition to a university.
Gain marketable skills
Through the Running Start Program at Cascadia, you can earn credits toward a wide
range of technical and associate degree programs that prepare you for the career of
Attend Cascadia College
Cascadia's classes average 24 to 33 students, allowing for plenty of interaction with professors and other students as you work in small groups on collaborative projects.
How to Apply
Optional: Attend a Running Start Information Session*
- Information Session are held on select Fridays
- The next Information Session date will be posted here
- Due to high demand for information sessions and limited space, we ask that you sign up
- We welcome attendance by both prospective students and parent/guardian
*You do not need to attend a Running Start Information Session to apply to Running
Start. Please follow the steps below or contact email@example.com with any questions.
1. Place into college-level English (English 101)
You must place into English 101. You can qualify by either taking the ACCUPLACER at Cascadia or submitting your 10th grade Smarter Balanced Assessment scores. You must place in either Level 3 or 4 on the English language assessment (ELA) of the Smarter Balanced Assessment.
To take the Accuplacer at Cascadia, visit the Accuplacer page for the current schedule.
You must submit English placement by the quarterly deadline (please see Step 3: Submit
your Running Start Contract).
2. Apply for admission to Cascadia
- Apply online for general admissions OR in person at Kodiak Corner. When you apply, please give an email that you, the student, will regularly check. Most of our communication is through email. Be sure to check your spam/junk email folder.
- You must complete the application by the quarterly deadline (please see Step 3: Submit your Running Start Contract).
3. Submit your Running Start Contract
All admission paperwork must be completed by the quarterly deadline to the Running Start Office.
Quarterly Running Start Admission Deadlines:
Winter Quarter 2020: December 13, 2019
Spring Quarter 2020: March 6, 2020
Fall Quarter, 2020: June 25, 2020
The Running Start Contract must be:
- Signed by you and your parent/guardian.
- Submitted via a scanned email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or as a paper copy to the Drop-Box, located by the job bulletin board in the Kodiak
The Running Start Enrollment Verification Form may also be submitted with the Contract.
4. Wait and check your email
Please check your spam and trash folders for missed emails. You will receive three
- The first email is automatically generated as soon as your general admissions application for Cascadia
- The second email is sent from Cascadia Admissions to all students who are under the age of 18. These
first two emails do not require any action.
- The third email will be from the Running Start Office, explaining the next steps including turning
in the Enrollment Verification Form, signing up for CORE, and registering for courses. This email will be sent once all application materials have been submitted and processed.
5. Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF)
- The RSEVF must be signed by the student, the student’s parent/guardian, and the student’s high school counselor.
- The RSEVF must be submitted to the Running Start Office before you register for courses every quarter.
- Without the RSEVF, you cannot register for courses.
- Note: If you move to a new high school or your credit allotment changes, you will
need to submit a revised RSEVF.
- The Fee Waiver is available to students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch at their
sponsoring high school, students who have been in Foster Care, and/or students receiving
assistance from select state and federal programs.
- The form must be submitted before the first day of the quarter with proper documentation. The type of required documentation is explained on the Running Start Fee Waiver Form.
The Release of Information Form is an optional form and is available online. (Note: This form must be submitted in-person with photo identification at Front Counter in Kodiak Corner.)
- You must be a high school junior or senior.
- You must be enrolled in a public high school or with a public school district.
- You can participate in Running Start for up to 6 quarters from the fall of your junior
year to the spring of your senior year.
- If you do not participate in Running Start, you cannot "save up" quarters to use later;
after your senior year, you are no longer eligible.
As a college student, you are fully responsible for your education and academic success.
- You must place into college-level English (English 101) by taking either the Accuplacer or Smarter
- You must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above. Running Start students are held accountable
to the same academic standards as other college students.
- Do your best: The grades you earn at Cascadia will go on both your high school and
- How is High School different from college? Prepare yourself by understanding the differences.
Check out the following resource from Auburn University, High School to College Comparison.
Running Start will pay for some or all of the tuition while attending Cascadia College. The amount of tuition covered by Running Start is directly relative to how many classes the student is enrolled in at high school or school district.
- All fees are subject to change.
- Please see the Running Start Program Tuition and Fees for more details.
- Students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch at their sponsoring high school and/or students who have been in Foster Care, qualify for a Running Start Fee Waiver.
On Week 6 of the current quarter, see your High School Counselor for the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF)
- Find your Registration Time.
- Complete the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form - you will need your high school counselor's signature as well as your parent/guardian's
Bring the Completed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form to the Running Start
- EVERY QUARTER bring a completed and signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form and place it in the Running Start Drop Box
- NOTE: You will not be able to register until you turn in the completed form.
- Please allow three (3) business days for the Running Start Office to process your RSEVF.
Register for Classes
- Pay your student costs online or at Kodiak Corner.
- Purchase your parking permit online or bus pass at Kodiak Corner.
- Find your textbooks from the searchable class schedule and purchase online at the University Bookstore website or on campus at the University Bookstore.
- The Running Start Office is located in Kodiak Corner, CC1 First Floor. Our business hours follow Kodiak Corner hours.
- Our current processing time for Running Start Contracts is one (1) week.
- Our current processing time for Running Start Enrollment Verification Forms (RSEVFs)
is three (3) business days.
Email us: email@example.com
Please provide your Cascadia College Student Identification Number (SID) if applicable. Please note that multiple emails will not yield a faster response.
Call us: 425.352.8146
If we are unable to answer, please leave a message with your name, phone number, and question(s).