The Running Start admissions deadline for
Winter Quarter is December 15th, 2017.
If you're an eligible high school junior or senior, apply for Cascadia's Running Start Program to earn college credit tuition free while you fulfill Washington State high school graduation requirements. Running Start lets you complete up to 2 years of college while you're still in high school.
Save time and money
You can take up to 15 credits per quarter tuition free depending on your enrollment level at high school. (You pay for books, supplies, transportation, mandatory college fees and tuition for non-college-level courses [courses numbered below 100 and Pre-Fall classes]).
Prepare for the future
As a student at Cascadia, you'll experience college life firsthand and become better prepared for the transition to a university.
Gain marketable skills
Through the Running Start Program at Cascadia, you can earn credits toward a wide range of technical and associate degree programs that prepare you for the career of your choice.
Attend Cascadia College
Cascadia's classes average 24 to 33 students, allowing for plenty of interaction with professors and other students as you work in small groups on collaborative projects.
How to Apply
Attend a Running Start Information Session*
- Sign-ups are required as space is limited.
Due to high demand for information sessions, we ask that you sign up for one (1) session.
We welcome attendance by both prospective students and parent/guardians.
Information Session Dates for Winter Quarter applicants:
*You do not need to attend a Running Start Information Session to apply to Running
Please follow the steps below or contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Place into college-level English (English 101)
You must place into college level English (English 101) with a score above 86 in both Reading and Sentence Skills (formerly known as Writing). To take the ACCUPLACER at Cascadia, visit the placement page for current placement schedule.
- We will also accept qualifying scores from Accuplacer or COMPASS from another community college. Attach your qualified scores to your Running Start Contract.
OR Take the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBAC)
- You must place in either Level 3 or Level 4 for ENGL 101 placement. Attach your qualified scores to your Running Start Contract. The score must be from the test taken during sophomore year of high school.
You must submit English placement by the quarterly deadline (please see Step 4: Submit your Running Start Contract).
Apply for admission to Cascadia
- Apply online for general admissions OR in person at Kodiak Corner.
- When you apply, please give an email that you, the student, will regularly check. Most of our communication is through email.
- Pay the non-refundable $30 application fee. You may pay online or in person.
- You must complete the application and pay the application fee by the quarterly deadline (please see Step 4: Submit your Running Start Contract).
- Qualifying students* can request that the application fee be waived by submitting the Running Start Fee Waiver along with the documentation requested on the form to the Kodiak Corner. This form must be submitted in-person with photo identification before you apply to Cascadia. The fee cannot be waived retroactively.
*Qualifying students are foster youth and/or students on select state and federal programs such as Free/Reduced Lunch and those with a Medical Identification Card (medical coupon).
Submit your Running Start Contract
- All admission paperwork must be completed by the quarterly deadline to the Running Start Office.
Quarterly Running Start Admission Deadlines:
Winter Quarter 2017: December 15th, 2017 by 2pm
Spring Quarter 2017: March 16th, 2018 by 2pm
Fall Quarter 2017: June 28th, 2018 by 2pm
- The Running Start Contract must be:
- Signed by you and your parent/guardian.
- Submitted via a scanned email attachment to email@example.com or as a paper copy to the Drop-Box, located by the job bulletin board in the Kodiak
- Signed by you and your parent/guardian.
- The Running Start Enrollment Verification Form may also be submitted with the Contract.
Wait and check your email
Please check your spam and trash folders for missed emails. You will receive three emails:
- The first email is automatically generated as soon as your general admissions application for Cascadia
- The second email is sent from Cascadia Admissions to all students who are under the age of 18. These
first two emails do not require any action.
- The third email will be from the Running Start Office, explaining the next steps including turning
in the Enrollment Verification Form, signing up for CORE, and registering for courses. This email will be sent once all application materials have been submitted and processed.
- The RSEVF must be signed by the student, the student’s parent/guardian, and the student’s high
- The RSEVF must be submitted to the Running Start Office before you register for courses every quarter.
- Without the RSEVF, you cannot register for courses.
- Note: If you move to a new high school or your credit allotment changes, you will need to submit a revised RSEVF.
- The Fee Waiver is available to students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch at their
sponsoring high school, students who have been in Foster Care, and/or students receiving
assistance from select state and federal programs.
- The form must be submitted before the first day of the quarter with proper documentation. The type of required documentation is explained on the Running Start Fee Waiver Form.
- The Release of Information Form is an optional form and is available online. (Note: This form must be submitted in-person with photo identification at Front Counter in Kodiak Corner.)
- You must be a high school junior or senior.
- You must be enrolled in a public high school or with a public school district.
- You can participate in Running Start for up to 6 quarters from the fall of your junior
year to the spring of your senior year.
- If you do not participate in Running Start, you cannot "save up" quarters to use later;
after your senior year, you are no longer eligible.
As a college student, you are fully responsible for your education and academic success.
- You must place into college-level English (English 101) by taking either the Accuplacer or Smarter
- You must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above. Running Start students are held accountable
to the same academic standards as other college students.
- Do your best: The grades you earn at Cascadia will go on both your high school and
- How is High School different from college? Prepare yourself by understanding the differences.
Check out the following resource from Auburn University, High School to College Comparison.
Running Start will pay for some or all of the tuition while attending Cascadia College. The amount of tuition covered by Running Start is directly relative to how many classes the student is enrolled in at high school or school district.
On Week 6 of the current quarter, see your High School Counselor for the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF)
Bring the Completed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form to the Running Start Office
- EVERY QUARTER bring a completed and signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form and place it in the Running Start Drop Box
- NOTE: You will not be able to register until you turn in the completed form.
- Please allow three (3) business days for the Running Start Office to process your
The Running Start Office is located in Kodiak Corner, CC1 First Floor. Our business hours follow Kodiak Corner hours.
Our current processing time for Running Start Contracts is one (1) week.
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide your Cascadia College Student Identification Number (SID) if applicable. Please note that multiple emails will not yield a faster response.
Call us: (425) 352-8146
If we are unable to answer, please leave a message with your name, phone number, and question(s).