Get a jump-start on your future at Cascadia
The Running Start application deadline for fall quarter 2016 has CLOSED.
Earn college credit from your high school classes
If you're an eligible high school junior or senior, apply for Cascadia's Running Start Program to earn college credit tuition free while you fulfill Washington State high school graduation requirements. Running Start lets you complete up to 2 years of college while you're still in high school.
Save time and money
You can take up to 15 credits per quarter tuition free depending on your enrollment level at high school. (You pay for books, supplies, transportation, mandatory college fees and tuition for non-college-level courses [courses numbered below 100 and Pre-Fall classes].)
Prepare for the future
As a student at Cascadia, you'll experience college life firsthand and become better prepared for the transition to a university.
Gain marketable skills
Through the Running Start Program at Cascadia, you can earn credits toward a wide range of technical and associate degree programs that prepare you for the career of your choice.
Attend Cascadia College
Cascadia's classes average 24 to 33 students, allowing for plenty of interaction with professors and other students as you work in small groups on collaborative projects.
How to Apply
Attend a Running Start Information Session*
- Sign-ups are required as space is limited.
Due to high demand for information sessions, we ask that you sign up for one (1) session.
We welcome attendance by both prospective students and parent/guardians.
Information Session Dates for Winter Quarter applicants:
- Information Sessions for Spring Quarter applicants will begin in January.
*You do not need to attend a Running Start Information Session to apply to Running
Please follow the steps below or contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Place into college-level English (English 101)
You must place into college level English (English 101) with a score above 80 in both reading and writing.
- We will accept qualifying scores from Accuplacer, COMPASS, or Smarter Balanced Assessment.
Visit the placement page for current placement schedule.
- Attach your qualified scores from the Smarter Balanced Assessment to your Running
Take the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBAC)
You must place in either Level 3 or Level 4 for ENGL 101 placement.
Apply for admission to Cascadia
- Apply online for general admissions OR in person at Kodiak Corner.
- Pay the non-refundable $30 application fee. You may pay online or in person.
- Qualifying students can request that the application fee be waived by submitting the Running Start Fee Waiver along with the documentation requested on the form to the Kodiak Corner. This form must be submitted in-person with photo identification before you apply to Cascadia. The fee cannot be waived retroactively.
*Qualifying students are foster youth and/or students on select state and federal
programs such as Free/Reduced Lunch and those with a Medical Identification Card (medical
Submit your Running Start Contract
- The contract must be received by the quarterly deadline to the Running Start Office.
Quarterly Running Start Contract Deadlines:
Winter Quarter 2017: December 9, 2016 by 1:30pm
Spring Quarter 2017: March 3, 2017 by 1:30pm
Fall Quarter 2017: May 26, 2017 by 1:30pm
Wait and check your email
Please check your spam and trash folders for missed emails. You will receive three emails:
- The first email is automatically generated as soon as your general admissions application for Cascadia
- The second email is sent from Cascadia Admissions to all students who are under the age of 18. These
first two emails do not require any action.
- The third email will be from the Running Start Office, explaining the next steps including turning
in the Enrollment Verification Form, signing up for CORE, and registering for courses. This email will be sent once all application materials have been submitted and processed.
- The RSEVF must be signed by the student, the student’s parent/guardian, and the student’s high
- The RSEVF must be submitted to the Running Start Office before you register for courses every quarter.
- Without the RSEVF, you cannot register for courses.
- The Fee Waiver is available to students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch at their
sponsoring high school, students who have been in Foster Care, and/or students receiving
assistance from select state and federal programs.
- The form must be submitted before the first day of the quarter with proper documentation. The type of required documentation is explained on the Running Start Fee Waiver Form.
- The Release of Information Form is an optional form and is available online. (Note: This form must be submitted in-person with photo identification at Front Counter in Kodiak Corner.)
- You must be a high school junior or senior.
- You must be enrolled in a public high school or with a public school district.
- You can participate in Running Start for up to 6 quarters from the fall of your junior
year to the spring of your senior year.
- If you do not participate in Running Start, you cannot "save up" quarters to use later;
after your senior year, you are no longer eligible.
As a college student, you are fully responsible for your education and academic success.
- You must place into college-level English (English 101) by taking either the COMPASS, Accuplacer,
or Smarter Balanced Assessment.
- You must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above. Running Start students are held accountable
to the same academic standards as other college students.
- Do your best: The grades you earn at Cascadia will go on both your high school and
- How is High School different from college? Prepare yourself by understanding the differences.
Check out the following resource from Auburn University, High School to College Comparison.
Running Start will pay for some or all of the tuition while attending Cascadia College. The amount of tuition covered by Running Start is directly relative to how many classes the student is enrolled in at high school or school district.
On Week 6 of the current quarter, see your High School Counselor for the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEV)
Bring the Completed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form to the Running Start Office
- EVERY QUARTER bring a completed and signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form and place it in the Running Start Drop Box
- NOTE: You will not be able to register until you turn in the completed form.
- Please allow three (3) business days for the Running Start Office to process your