Earn college credit from your high school classes
If you're an eligible high school junior or senior, apply for Cascadia's Running Start Program to earn college credit tuition free while you fulfill Washington State high school graduation requirements. Running Start lets you complete up to 2 years of college while you're still in high school.
Save time and money
You can take up to 15 credits per quarter tuition free depending on your enrollment level at high school. (You pay for books, supplies, transportation, mandatory college fees and tuition for non-college-level courses [courses numbered below 100 and Pre-Fall classes].)
Prepare for the future
As a student at Cascadia, you'll experience college life firsthand and become better prepared for the transition to a university.
Gain marketable skills
Through the Running Start Program at Cascadia, you can earn credits toward a wide range of technical and associate degree programs that prepare you for the career of your choice.
Attend Cascadia College
Cascadia's classes average 24 to 33 students, allowing for plenty of interaction with professors and other students as you work in small groups on collaborative projects.
Information Sessions begin Fall 2015
Find Out More...How to Apply
- You must be a high school junior or senior.
- You must be enrolled in a public high school or with a public school district.
- You can participate in Running Start for up to 6 quarters from the fall of your junior year to the spring of your senior year.
- If you do not participate in Running Start, you cannot "save up" quarters to use later; after your senior year, you are no longer eligible.
As a college student, you are fully responsible for your education and academic success.
- You must take the COMPASS Placement and place into college level English 101 (score above 80) in both reading and writing. You may retake the test only once every 30 days by paying the COMPASS Placement fee.
- You must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above. Running Start students are held accountable to the same academic standards as other college students.
- Do your best: The grades you earn at Cascadia will go on both your high school and college transcripts.
- How is High School different from college? Prepare yourself by understanding the differences. Check out the following resource from Auburn University, High School to College Comparison.
Running Start will pay for some or all of the tuition while attending Cascadia College. The amount of tuition covered by Running Start is directly relative to how many classes the student is enrolled in at high school or school district.
- All fees are subject to change.
- Please see the Running Start Cost of Attendance for more details.
- Students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch at their sponsoring high school and/or students who have been in Foster Care, qualify for a Running Start Fee Waiver.
Attend a Running Start Information Session (Optional)
- Attend an on-campus Running Start Information Session held the second Wednesday of each month from 4:00pm - 5:00pm in room CC1-250. Check out our College Calendar to find the dates for the upcoming sessions.
- If you have already participated in Cascadia's Running Start Program during a previous quarter, you do not need to reapply, even if you skipped a quarter. Just bring your signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form for the upcoming Quarter to the Running Start Office.
- See the Campus Map to locate the Cascadia Building and learn about parking options and rates.
Submit your Running Start Admissions Packet to the Running Start Office by the Quarterly Running Start Application Deadline
- The Running Start Admissions Packet includes:
- Running Start Application
- Running Start Contract
- The contract must be signed by you and your parent/guardian.
- Running Start Enrollment Verification Form
- The Enrollment Verification Form must be signed by you, your parent/guardian, and your HS Counselor.
- The Release of Information Form is an optional form and available online. (Note: This form must be submitted in person with photo ID at the Kodiak Corner Front Counter.)
Students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch at their sponsoring high school and/or students who have been in Foster Care, qualify for a Running Start Fee Waiver.
- Quarterly Running Start Application Deadlines:
- Winter Quarter 2015: December 12, 2014 by 1:30pm
- Spring Quarter 2015: February 27, 2015 by 1:30pm
- Fall Quarter 2015: May 29, 2015 by 1:30pm
Complete the Running Start Orientation
Once you have submitted your Running Start Admissions Packet, you will receive a Welcome Email sent to the email address you provide on the Running Start Application. This Welcome Email will give you the link to complete the online Running Start Student Orientation.
The Running Start Student Orientation is mandatory for all new Running Start students.
The online orientation will help you to:
- Learn about being a college student
- Learn about specific requirements of the Running Start Program
- Learn how to select college courses
- Sign up for a CORE Session
Attend a CORE (Cascadia Orientation and Registration Experience) Session
At the end of the Running Start Student Orientation, you will have the opportunity to sign up for either an in-person or online CORE session where you will register for your first quarter classes.
NOTE: You will not be able to register for classes without first submitting your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form to the Running Start Office.
Before you attend a CORE session please make sure you have done the following:
- Review the online course schedule for courses you would like to take
- Meet with your high school counselor to determine which college courses will fulfill your high school requirements.
Follow These Steps on Week 6 of the Current Quarter to Prepare for Registration:
Bring the Completed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form to the Running Start Office
- EVERY QUARTER bring a completed and signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form and place it in the Running Start Drop Box.
- NOTE: You will not be able to register until you turn in the completed form.
Register for Classes